Sunday, August 31, 2014

Weekly Wrap-Up – August 17th-23rd

Mid-week, Steve returned from Michigan to visit his family and to attend his 25th high school reunion.  He had a wonderful visit with everyone, spent some time with old friends, and got to spend some treasured time with his dad.  All in all, he had a great trip!

********************

On Sunday, the kids and I went to Ocean Breeze after church.  Hayden always has the most fun on the log roller.  On this day, Haylee and Holden decided they were brave enough to give it a try themselves!

DSCF2191DSCF2192 DSCF2193  

Holden was so excited when I said he could try it!  I had Hayden stay nearby since Holden can’t reach the bottom of that deeper pool…I knew he might need some help paddling out of the way when his turn was over.  But he did fine, and despite a few faceplants on the log, he had a great time and couldn’t wait to do it again!  Haylee loved it, too.  I guess I know what we’ll be doing the next time we go!

********************

On Monday, it poured down with rain something awful!  But before the rain hit, Haylee and I ran out to harvest some goodies from the garden.  Look how much we got!  We went ahead and harvested all of the remaining carrots for the season, and I had to pull up one celery plant early because there was some rot happening in the center.  But all of the other celery plants look great, and this was my first time attempting to grow celery! 

DSCF2195DSCF2196 DSCF2197 

We came inside just in time, and that storm was pretty severe!  It rained like cats and dogs, and there was lots of thunder and lightning.

********************

Hayden has had a great couple of weeks at summer camp at his charter high school.  He’s done some really fun activities.  They wrapped up the camp on Friday with a family picnic.  Due to weather, they had to move it to the school cafeteria instead of the local park, so it didn’t turn out to be as much fun as it could have fun, but the kids still enjoyed getting balloon swords from the clown, and Hayele got her face and hand painted by one of the students. 

DSCF2199 DSCF2200

DSCF2198DSCF2201   

 DSCF2202DSCF2203

I ordered a GRC pullover for Hayden to help support the school’s fundraiser, and he got to watch a bunch of kids and teachers do the ice bucket challenge in the back of the school.  The whole event was catered by a company that roasted pulled pork barbecue and hot dogs on pits outside all day long.  It was so good!

********************

On Saturday, I tried to figure out something I could do to use up the plethora of organic homegrown tomatoes that I’d stored up in the fridge.  I decided to cook on the fly and just sort of figured it out as I went.  It turned out really good!

DSCF2204

I blanched the tomatoes in boiling water and then a cold bath to peel off the skin, cored them, and put them in a saucepan with half a chopped organic onion, some Italian seasoning, a spoonful of sugar, some minced garlic, and some salt and let it simmer down. Then I sliced up some Trader Joe's Italian Chicken Sausage and mixed with it and served it over some brown rice, sprinkled with Trader Joe's Quattro Formaggio Italian cheese blend. Delicious! Hayden said there were 2 things wrong with it. One, he would have liked twice as much sausage in his bowl, and two, there's no more in his bowl, LOL! He keeps telling me I need to do more cooking on the fly 'cause he thinks I’m good at it. I'm glad it turned out to be a crowd pleaser, and the best part is that it finally gets the giant container full of tomatoes out of my fridge!

********************

So what are your end-of-summer plans?  We’re taking next week off from school so the kids can all enjoy their last days with Hayden before he starts back to charter school again.  The weather should be nice, so hopefully we can squeeze in at least a couple of outings to round out the summer.

See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment