Sunday, August 17, 2014

Weekly Wrap-Up – August 3rd-9th

There’s so much to do this week in preparation for our annual Burgess Birthday Bash!

********************

I never have pictures of myself, but I had to get my son to take one for me so I could create a new 2014-2015 homeschool I.D. card. 

DSCF2141

So here I am!  Surprise!

********************

Friday was baking day.  I needed to do as much cooking done for the party today as possible so there’s that much less to prepare in the morning.  So I made and decorated a strawberry 1/2 sheet cake, 24 caramel cupcakes with whipped cream cheese frosting, and about 60 summer sausage rolls for the party.

DSCF2145 DSCF2146

I also had to put out the decorations and get everything together on my dinner table so I wouldn’t be hunting for things on party day.  I was up until about 1 AM!  I’m always sleep deprived by party day.  :)

********************

It’s Saturday, and it’s party day!!!  I spent the morning making 30 chocolate scones, 30 mixed berry scones, a veggie tray, haddock fish and chips in the fryer, cucumber dill finger sandwiches, 2 bowls of apple-orange punch (everyone’s favorite), and plenty of snacks.  I even set up a full tea service for the moms to enjoy, including a pot of apple juice for the little ladies.  For the fish and fries, I made cones out of newsprint-printed fry paper and displayed them in a makeshift thing I made out of some kind of rack I found at the thrift store set atop a canister!  I printed British flags to go inside of the canister so it would look like part of the display!

DSCF2147 DSCF2148 DSCF2150

DSCF2151 DSCF2149

Then we were on to the festivities, celebrating Hayden’s 15th and Haylee’s 10th birthdays.

DSCF2152 DSCF2153 DSCF2155 DSCF2173DSCF2171DSCF2170

I was sure to take a photo of each treasured guest for my scrapbook…it’s a tradition!

DSCF2154  DSCF2172  DSCF2174 DSCF2156 DSCF2157 DSCF2158 DSCF2159 DSCF2160 DSCF2161 DSCF2162 DSCF2163 DSCF2164 DSCF2165 DSCF2166 DSCF2167 DSCF2168 DSCF2169 

A fun time was had by all!  The weather was unseasonably cool for August…notably the most pleasant weather we’ve ever had for the party since it’s usually 100 degrees that day!  It was a lovely day indeed, and now my brain is already thinking about next year’s potential party theme…

********************

I must say that as much as I enjoy the party and having all of our friends over, I’m also relieved to have the stress of planning and preparation over with for another year.  It’s so worth it, though!  The truth is, I enjoy planning it, and the kids enjoy being a part of coming up with the theme and watching it all magically come together every year.  These are memories they’ll hold dear for the rest of their lives.  That’s the whole point. :)

Until next week…

No comments:

Post a Comment